New Delhi: Informing all the dental colleges in the country, the Dental Council of India (DCI) released the reference manual for dental professionals for tobacco cessation in dental settings.
National Resource Centre for Oral Health & Tobacco Cessation (NRC¬OH-TC) at Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences, New Delhi, in collaboration with various stakeholders, including the Dental Council of India, has released a reference manual titled “Tobacco Cessation in Dental Settings- Reference Manual for Dental Professionals” on the occasion of World No Tobacco Day 2022.
As per DCI, the resource centre is a single point of contact for assistance in developing, implementing and advancing the scope of dental health professionals in tobacco cessation for addressing patient care, research and capacity building, and integration in dental education.
The manual focuses on equipping dental professionals with knowledge, skills and confidence for applying the best evidence for tobacco cessation. The lack of knowledge and skills about tobacco and tobacco control is a significant barrier to providing tobacco cessation interventions. Dental professionals are willing to receive formal training in patient counselling.
The manual is based on current empirical evidence, best practices and extensive clinical experience. The document aims to serve as a quick reference guide to help oral health care providers deliver tobacco cessation as part of their routine practice. This guideline provides information on the various forms of cessation support, from brief interventions to more detailed pharmacological interventions. The efforts are an attempt toward making the community tobacco-free.
The following topics are included in the manual –
1. Role of Dental Health Professionals in Tobacco Cessation.
2. Introduction, Epidemiology of Tobacco-Use in India and Types of Tobacco Products.
3. Effects of Tobacco on Health and Oral Health.
4. Impact of Tobacco on Dental Treatment Outcomes.
5. Addiction Process and Measurement of Nicotine Dependence.
6. Behavioural Interventions in Dental Settings.
7. Pharmacotherapy for Tobacco Cessation in Dental Setting.
8. Understanding Withdrawal Symptoms and Relapse Management.
9. Technology interventions and Laboratory Investigations in Tobacco Cessation.
10. Tobacco Cessation in Community Settings.
11. Monitoring and Evaluation in Tobacco Cessation.
The detailed manual is attached below.
To view the notices, click on the below links –